Sunday, February 17, 2013

Sergei Winogradsky Made Me Want To Puke!


Let me just start out by saying I have TONS of respect for all the cool things Sergei Winogradsky did for science. He was a Russian scientist born in 1856 and is the founder of modern microbiology.  Sergei used a columns, later called the Winogradsky Columns, to watch the interactions of different groups of bacteria over time and under different environmental conditions; lots of hydrogen sulfide gas, lots of nitrogen, extra carbon. He also looked at how bacteria colonies changed over time as organic and inorganic compounds were used up.

You have probably seen a Winogradsky column in some nature center or science museum sitting in a sunlit area unlabeled and probably walked right past it thinking “well that’s weird”. 
 
That is just what happened to me for almost a whole year. I worked at the Museum of Science, in Boston, MA, in the greenhouse exhibit and as I watered the plants would walk past these two large plastic tubes with white caps.  They made great plant stands, but they bugged me. I had seen things just like this on other museums in the United States, France, and Germany with no labels explaining what they were.  So, on a slow day I asked my boss Bob what they were. “Oh, they are old Winogradsky columns.”  he replied. 

Curious I searched books in the library and the internet trying to find out more about them. I found out the different colors, of bacteria, and where they were in the column tell you about the bacteria’s environment; is there oxygen, is there carbon, is there sulfur, and much more. Each type of bacteria was a different color, so it would be easy to look at the colors to pick out sulfur rich areas by looking for the red bacteria. Excited I looked at ours. They were green from top to bottom. Where were all the other colors I wondered?   On Monday I peppered Bob with all my new information and admitted I was confused because ours were all green.  They need to be recharged he explained. Once the bacteria have used up all the sulfur, oxygen, carbon and other compounds all the other bacteria die and you are left with just the green bacteria.  If I wanted to he would help me recharge them only I had to get two dozen eggs from the cafeteria.  Smiling I entered the kitchen explaining to the chef I needed two dozen eggs for a science experiment and with much fear on the chef’s part he handed over the eggs. Bob and I popped off the five foot columns’ lids and started scooping mud into large buckets.  As I was explaining to a group of visitors what we were doing swish, plop, slash right into my mouth lands a huge clump of foul smelling mud. Immediately the gag reflex kicks in as I try to spit out all the mud, but I can still taste it. I run across the second floor as fast as I can trying not to puke to the restroom.  A few minutes of dry heaving and a few gallons of water to rinse out my mouth later I return to the exhibit.  We shred newspaper, crush up eggs and stir it into our mud buckets before dumping it back into the columns topping them off with pond water.   

A few days later we had all sorts of colonies of bacteria red, purplish, rust colored, black, darker green, and white. Pockets of red where there was more egg (sulfur) than other areas. A black layer formed near the bottom where the bacteria which thrive with no oxygen lived. Three shades of green some of which used oxygen, found near the top of the column and the ones that didn’t use oxygen in the middle of the column.   As the months went by the colonies changed the black layer grew as the mud settled and the trapped pockets of air got forced to the surface. Slowly the red disappeared as the eggs were eaten up by the sulfur loving bacteria.

So, if you happen to see a Winogradsky column in a museum look to see what colors you can find and if it is all green nudge then and tell them to recharge their mud for the sake of Sergei.
 
Want to know more:

No comments:

Post a Comment