Monday, September 1, 2014

STOP! ENOUGH! UNCLE!!!

This week I will be venting on the people who are messing with my food. Yeah, you heard me hybrid happy people get your grubby hands off my food!! It was with great anticipation a few weeks ago I announced that I would make caramelized sweet potato, garlic & rosemary macaroni and cheese to bring to a potluck dinner. Shopping list in hand I headed to the local grocery store to get the ingredients. 

The local grocery store has an interesting way of labeling produce in the fresh fruits and veggies section and have stock clerks who can't tell parsley from cilantro even when it is labeled. I didn't think too much of it when the label on the sweet potatoes claimed "white skinned" sweet potatoes. As they were the only sweet potato in the store I grabbed one and the rest of the ingredients and headed for home. I grabbed my veggie peeler and started to scrape, after the first pass I knew I was in trouble, it was white through and through. I headed next door to ask a friend to verify I had indeed bought a sweet potato which she assured me they were sweet potatoes, but with a much milder flavor.  Really I ask you who is a regular sweet potato too strong for?  With no other choice I chopped it up and put it under the broiler (I broil my sweet potatoes instead of boiling them like the recipe says). Once out from under the broiler I popped a chunk into my mouth, blech it taste like cardboard.  Crestfallen I made the mac and cheese anyway.  24 hours later the "white" sweet potato had tuned an interesting shade of grey which got darker with each passing hour.  JUST SAY NO TO WHITE SWEET POTATOES!

Then if that were not bad enough I heard about another gastronomic "delight" which would be hitting the produce isle in the up coming weeks, brace yourselves cotton candy flavored grapes.  Say what!
What was wrong with regular grapes? Granted I often think store bought grapes are picked too early which is what makes them rather tasteless, but this is going a little too far.  I sadly never say any of these grapes in the store because I was hoping to taste test them with my coworkers. I think we are sliding further down that slipper slope which was started when broccoflower reached our shores. I tried it once but couldn't really make it past the lime green color. While the USDA assures me I can get 90% of my vitamin C intake for the day from eating just one serving if it doesn't look appealing who is going to eat it? Try the famous American classic of Velveeta cheese melted over a little broccoflower and then try to eat it I dare you!



The supermarket is becoming a scary scary place to shop.

No comments:

Post a Comment